Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mama Stories *mama of one breastfeeding two*




This weeks story comes from someone you already know. Our very own Heidi Helser. Have I ever mentioned that Heidi might have the best sense of humor ever? Well keep reading and see what I mean and read about her breastfeeding "career". 


Hello all you beautiful breastfeeding mamas!  You may know me already, I am Heidi Helser, President of The Breastfeeding Initiative and owner of Heidi Helser Photography.  But more importantly, I am Ada's mama.  I have a sweet three year old girl who is the twinkle in my eye and the gray in my hair.  

I proudly breastfed Ada until she was 2.5 years old.  I never thought I would breastfeed as long as I did.  It felt right.  I went with it.  I wanted to sleep through the night and I cut the girl off.  I'm not sure who it was harder for.....  

I love breastfeeding.  No, like.  LOVE, love.  I am proud to have nursed for as long as I did.  I'm okay that Ada never stops touching my boobs and calls them her best friends.  I like it.  Except when she does it in Target and people are looking and then it's awkward.  For everyone.  It happened tonight.

I have a few few things that I am proud of that I have done in my 30 years of living.....  breastfeeding being one of them, but more than just breastfeeding my own child.....  I exclusively breastfed my daughter and pumped for another baby for the first 6 months of my breastfeeding career(yes, it's totally a career).  I was so proud and honored to have supplied another human with breastmilk.  It brought me great joy and lots of laughs.  I was really leaky.  I was always flooding my shirts.  I was really impressed with myself when I could nurse my little lady and then pump 8 ounces on both sides.  I liked to time myself to see how fast I could fill the bottles.  What?  That's weird?  It was pretty awesome.  I feel like I could have won a contest if such a contest existed.

Breastfeeding came so easy to me and my supply was HUGE.  I am so thankful for this.  I was so humbled to have supplied for another mama who was struggling.  I know that breastfeeding doesn't always come easy, it sometimes doesn't come at all.  

The breastfeeding connection comes in all different ways and I am so grateful to have my experience and to have shared with others.  

With so much love,
Heidi



To view more of Heidi's work and to find out how to book a session with her check out her Facebook page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment